Tuesday, February 8, 2011

building a mission

In one of my classes we talked about goals and mission statements today. At first, when I read the chapter a few things grabbed my attention but I sort of blew off actually writting out my goals and mission statement like the book suggested. Then in class we were assigned to do so. Joke on me. BUT to my suprise when I sat down to write this tonight, it actually made me think a lot and I took it very seriously. I found that after jotting down some notes I felt inspired and had an uplifted attitude as I composed the sentences.

After doing some research on how to write one I learned that you should not write one over night. For the sake of the assignment I was required to, but now that i've found an interest in this I plan to keep up with it. Some of the tips said to keep it in a place where you can view it often to remind you of the things you are supposed to stand for and to remind you of what you once thought was important. Advice also suggested to revist your goals and statement every so often to update it and to see where you have come since your last written items.

Here is a quote from Stephen Covey's Community site that discusses goals and mission statements. Stephen Covey is the author of the popular book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, a book suggested by my text book for class that I am going to purchase and read for myself.


"Your mission statement becomes your constitution, the solid expression of your vision and values. It becomes the criterion by which you measure everything else in your life."




Here is my statement that I wrote tonight...

To steer myself down a path that I, and my family, can be proud of. To be hardworking and a leader to not only my friends, family, and coworkers, but to also be a positive influence on those I only meet in passing. To live with a thirst for knowledge, and the strength to resist temptation no matter the form it presents itself. And make decisions with both integrity and love, to therefore live without regret.

I advise those of you who have not written out goals in your life or a mission statement to do a little bit of research to get inspired and then to try writting some things for yourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment